I like to bake. A lot. And now that I’m gluten-free, I like to try new recipes. While surfing gluten-free blogs, I came across this blog. There are so. many. delicious. treats. I really wanted to make this. Wipe that saliva off your face. I had to do the same. That treat is decidedly not sugar free. So, I settled on a recipe for Peanut Butter Banana Muffins.
Bananas! No processed sugar! Lots of fatty peanut butter? Delicious!
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey)
- 2 ripe bananas chopped
- Cinnamon** my addition
- ¾ cup creamy TJ’s Crunchy Peanut Butter
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Prepare muffin tin with paper baking cups.
- Separate eggs. Nerve-wracking!
- In mixing bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Don’t overdo it, or you’ll have a soufflé on your hands.
- In another bowl, whip yolks until they become a creamy, lighter yellow (about 2 minutes on high speed).
- To yolks, add chopped bananas, vanilla, sprinkle of cinnamon, maple syrup, and peanut butter.
- Blend thoroughly.
- With rubber spatula, fold your creamy peanut butter mixture into the egg whites. Mix until the white stripes disappear!
- Fill muffin cups until full.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
I had ½ of a muffin before running some errands on Sunday. The muffin looked a little angry, but it sure tasted good.
While its consistency is a little soufflé-like, it was delicious nonetheless. Plus, your whole house will smell like peanut butter. Who can argue with that?